There’s a lot of things I love about summer but shiny, melted makeup isn’t one of them. Nothing’s worse than leaving the house rocking a fresh face, then coming back with smudged mascara.
Luckily, I have a few tricks that keep my makeup looking fab all day long. Hot weather does not have to equal hot mess! Here are the holy grail products I use to beat the heat.
1) Cleanser | When summer rolls around, I like to swap out my cream-based cleanser for something light that can cut through oil and sweat. Philosophy’s Total Matteness totally does the trick (see what I did there?) It absorbs oil and never leaves my skin feeling dry.
2) Moisturizer | Tinted moisturizer is the way to go when I want to get that dewy summer glow. I’ve tried out a few tinted moisturizers in my day, but Laura Mercier’s is by far my favourite! It has just the right amount of coverage and leaves my skin feeling sooo soft when I take it off.
3) Powder | I don’t always use setting powder, but when I do, it’s Laura Mercier’s Translucent Loose Setting Powder. Basically every big-time beauty guru recommends this powder and let me tell you…the hype IS REAL! It’s ultra-fine and never clumps.
4) Blotting Paper | A dewy glow is one thing, but when people can see their reflections off my forehead, it’s time to bust out the blotting papers. These ones by Tarte are big-time shine busters, plus they’re infused with green tea extract, which soothes my skin.
5) Highlighter | No matter how much I powder and blot my face, my complexion is always going to be a bit shinier in the summer, so I say, “if you can’t beat em’, join em’!” I like to play up the “dewy” look by dabbing some highlighter on my cheekbones and the bridge of my nose. Milk Makeup’s highlighter in ‘Lit’ is one of my favs. It melts into my skin and has a super natural finish. What can I say? It’s lit (sorry I had to!)
6) Eyeshadow | When it comes to summer eyeshadow, I keep things simple and usually wear just one shade. Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wear Shadow doesn’t budge, and you can literally apply it with your fingers! Right now I’m OBSESSED with “Beach Bronze”.
7) Mascara | As much as I love the whole “raccoon eye” look, I love when my mascara stays on my lashes even more. Too Faced’s “Better Than Sex” Waterproof Mascara can survive anything— swimming, sweating, patio snacking. It’s almost better than sex.
8) Lip Balm | What can I say? This tinted balm is the BOMB! It makes my lips feel silky smooth and adds a pop of colour to my look. Sugar Nude by Fresh is my go-to.
9) Makeup Setting Spray | When I need my makeup to stay put all day AND all night, this stuff is my go-to. A couple spritzes, and I can go straight from strolls with Doodle at the dog park to Bellinis with my babes. How are you guys keeping your look cool this summer?