Last week, Shawn and I flew out to Vancouver for a few days. If you’ve ever been, you’ll know that when it rains there – it pours. But, regardless, it still felt so good to be back in the city that captured my heart. We celebrated my birthday with friends and watched my best friend walk down the aisle. We had way too much fun dancing at the reception – if you follow me on Snapchat, you’ll know what I’m talking about.
We don’t have a permanent house in Vancouver, but the OPUS Hotel made us feel right at home. I mean, we stepped into our room and there was a bottle of red wine just begging to be opened! I was right in my element. These people do not miss a beat.
Photo Credit: OPUS Hotel
As if the wine weren’t enough, they also sent up a couple glasses of champagne. So, here I was – in Vancouver and nicely buzzed in my first hour.
I can’t say enough about the staff. They were all so friendly and even left little candy treats for us in the room. Seriously, Shawn and I felt so spoiled! We were either sippin’ on vino or running around the city on a sugar high (thanks OPUS). Oh, and I need to mention that housekeeping also came to my rescue. I had my bridesmaid dress hemmed by a sweet lady in Edmonton who works for Blu’s in Southgate Centre. She did such a great job, but I’m pretty petite, and after trying on the dress again – it was still a bit long. That was no issue for housekeeping. They had it hemmed and ready to go in a matter of a couple hours! Phew.
Photo Credit: OPUS Hotel
Our trip to Vancouver was too short – and we need make our way back again soon. I miss it more than ever today.
So, with that – I’ll leave you with a few reasons why Canada is one of the GREATEST countries in the world. I may be in Paris right now, but you can bet that I’m making a Caesar and toastin’ to my homeland. It may not taste as good as Leo’s, but, it’s still pretty darn good to me. Find him at OPUS Bar and tell him I sent ya!
20 THINGS THAT MAKE CANADA GREAT
1. It’s underrated. If you’ve never been – you’ll never fully understand its beauty.
2. The people are the friendliest you’ll ever come across.
3. Ketchup chips are everything.
4. Our beer is 5% – ha!
5. Prairie summers, bright yellow mustard fields, rolling hills, endless skies, prairie lakes and long, late sunsets.
6. Places have a small town vibe.
7. Canadians stand up for each other – and for what they believe.
8. You don’t hear anyone saying, “let’s make Canada great again!” – It’s consistent; it’s always great.
9. The snow! I love it – seasons give people balance and make you feel grounded.
10. We feel safe – gun control is important.
11. There are endless options for road trips.
12. Vancouver is home to many, but you never get used to its beauty. It feels like you’re permanently on vacation! The mountains and beaches. Enough said.
13. Caesars – yum!
14. Gay marriages. Everyone is treated as an equal.
15. Justin Bieber #SorryNotSorry.
16. Tim Hortons – the ice caps AND the mini donuts.
17. Poutine (okay, I’m getting hungry).
18. Newfoundland icebergs in the middle of June.
19. Lake Louis (featured on Sean Lowe’s season). BEAUTIFUL.
20. Canada is the land of diversity and opportunity.
Happy Canada Day, guys! I’ll be back before you know it.