Podcast: Episode 09 with Walker Hayes
There’s a lot of things I love about summer but shiny, melted makeup isn’t one of them. Nothing’s worse than leaving the house rocking a fresh face, then coming back with smudged mascara.
Luckily, I have a few tricks that keep my makeup looking fab all day long. Hot weather does not have to equal hot mess! Here are the holy grail products I use to beat the heat.
1) Cleanser | When summer rolls around, I like to swap out my cream-based cleanser for something light that can cut through oil and sweat. Philosophy’s Total Matteness totally does the trick (see what I did there?) It absorbs oil and never leaves my skin feeling dry.
2) Moisturizer | Tinted moisturizer is the way to go when I want to get that dewy summer glow. I’ve tried out a few tinted moisturizers in my day, but Laura Mercier’s is by far my favourite! It has just the right amount of coverage and leaves my skin feeling sooo soft when I take it off.
3) Powder | I don’t always use setting powder, but when I do, it’s Laura Mercier’s Translucent Loose Setting Powder. Basically every big-time beauty guru recommends this powder and let me tell you…the hype IS REAL! It’s ultra-fine and never clumps.
4) Blotting Paper | A dewy glow is one thing, but when people can see their reflections off my forehead, it’s time to bust out the blotting papers. These ones by Tarte are big-time shine busters, plus they’re infused with green tea extract, which soothes my skin.
5) Highlighter | No matter how much I powder and blot my face, my complexion is always going to be a bit shinier in the summer, so I say, “if you can’t beat em’, join em’!” I like to play up the “dewy” look by dabbing some highlighter on my cheekbones and the bridge of my nose. Milk Makeup’s highlighter in ‘Lit’ is one of my favs. It melts into my skin and has a super natural finish. What can I say? It’s lit (sorry I had to!)
6) Eyeshadow | When it comes to summer eyeshadow, I keep things simple and usually wear just one shade. Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wear Shadow doesn’t budge, and you can literally apply it with your fingers! Right now I’m OBSESSED with “Beach Bronze”.
7) Mascara | As much as I love the whole “raccoon eye” look, I love when my mascara stays on my lashes even more. Too Faced’s “Better Than Sex” Waterproof Mascara can survive anything— swimming, sweating, patio snacking. It’s almost better than sex.
8) Lip Balm | What can I say? This tinted balm is the BOMB! It makes my lips feel silky smooth and adds a pop of colour to my look. Sugar Nude by Fresh is my go-to.
9) Makeup Setting Spray | When I need my makeup to stay put all day AND all night, this stuff is my go-to. A couple spritzes, and I can go straight from strolls with Doodle at the dog park to Bellinis with my babes. How are you guys keeping your look cool this summer?
Kaitlyn’s Playlist: Summer Anthems
As you guys know, I love my sleep. It’s seriously one of my favourite activities— we’re talking up there with drinking wine. Bring me a glass of wine in bed and we’re REALLY talking. Anyways, I recently teamed up with Sleep Country Canada to help launch their new Bloom Mattress and ended up being given one of my own. It came in a box and was delivered straight to my door, which was handy because, well, I got to stay in bed…
Even though most good things come in boxes—presents, jewelry, wine— I was skeptical. I mean, a mattress in a box? It only took 15 seconds to bloom into a full-on bed, so I was able to get right to testing it out and take a quick cat nap (hard work, but someone’s gotta do it.) It was love at first sleep. The mattress and plushy Ploom pillows it came with made me feel like I was sleeping on a cloud.
After a couple nights on this bad boy, it’s safe to say it’s taken my sleep game to the next level. Shawn’s never been a big mattress guy, and even he’s noticed this one has a certain je ne sais quoi. It was designed by Sleep Obsessed Experts (my people) and since getting it, I can NOT get out of bed.
People are always telling me I hit the hay a little too hard, but I have my reasons.
- I fly a lot, and I can’t check the bags under my eyes…
Lately, I’ve had a pretty crazy travel schedule. The past three weeks I’ve traveled to Vancouver, LA, Toronto, Mexico, and Napa! Taking time to rest up and recharge between trips is key to keeping me on my toes. When I’m well rested, I feel like I can accomplish anything.
- I don’t want Shawn to lose his mind.
I’m not exactly what you’d call a ‘morning person.’ Rise and shine? More like rise and whine, am I right? Sleep is a major mood booster for me, and it’s better for everyone (but especially Shawn) if I get a good snooze.
- It helps me stay on my healthy eating train.
Not getting enough sleep has been proven to amp up your food cravings. I’m not going to get into the details (because I don’t know them), but SCIENCE is on my side you guys. Science!
- If beauty sleep is a thing, I don’t want to miss out on it
If sleep is what it takes to get my glow on, I’m willing to go the extra mile. Why stop at 8 hours? I’ll sleep until 11, 12, the next day…
- It helps keep my immune system strong.
When I don’t get enough sleep, I notice it right away. I get groggy, moody, and my body starts to feel run down. Whenever I get sick, it’s usually because I haven’t been getting enough sleep. Shut eye is what keeps me feeling good, so I can do the things I love!
To all my Canadian sleep enthusiasts out there— if you want to step up your snooze game, you can order the Bloom Mattress online or test it out at any Sleep Country store. Trust me guys, #LifeWithBloom (and sleep with Bloom) is better.
I could go on, but I think I’ll take a nap instead…